Featured room design: 5 ways to achieve an island theme
DESIGN + BEDROOM
While I was doing a little personal shopping with Target online, I came across this incredible ivory, sandy-toned storage ottoman with a cool shape! One thing led to another and here I am with my bedroom feature for April, "Happy Skies and Soft Sands". Even though the ottoman is not used in this feature for tonal reasons, I have saved it for another design.
For about a month now, I've had bedroom ideas floating. Facetiming mom and dad daily at their hotel in Atlanta just added to the creative juices! Who does not love a hotel bedroom. Even though home is sweet, hotels just have all the bedroom feels down to a "T". From the comfort of the bed to the coordination of the carpeting and wallpaper selections. I could not resist channeling a hotel vibe with this room.
Here, I pushed it to the Islands with the use of colors and a careful selection of prints. The happy deep sky indigo blues are complemented by off-whites and sands. There is more below from how to create a modern tropical floral accent to creating a timeless, grand look in your master bedroom using happy colors!
Disclaimer: Using happy colors in your home does not mean you have to sacrifice timeless designs or mature decor. That's my niche. I love bringing the two together. Classic, but yet fun!
HOW TO USE A FUN SHAPED MODERN VASE
Have you seen an odd vase that you love and want to use as a statement piece lately? Every bedroom could use a simple floral accent. Whether it's sitting on nightstand or shelf or placed in the master bathroom. There is room for to accessorize here. This feature is an informal quirky vase using tropical spray.
1. Find one or more a small to medium size vases that fits the color scheme or in a neutral color like black, white, or gray. (whichever complements your colors better!)
2. Go to a floral or craft store or department and pick your favorite tropical spray (get at least three of the same kind or three of a variety if you don't have a favorite). Any color here will work into your color scheme here because green plants are considered neutral here.
3. Bend and/or clip all your floral stems down to the perfect height of the vase if needed. (note: Practice placing it where you will make a space for the vase before you cut. For instance, on some shelving. Giving each stem different heights can make a more dramatic feel if you prefer. Especially if you are placing them on a shelf of countertop.
4. Take a picture of your final look to assure it is just the way you like!
1. MIX PATTERED WOOD FURNITURE WITH CREAMY WHITES
There are a plethora of furniture pieces available in the market that can bring in soft fabrics, rustic textures, and feminine colors on your furniture. I am definitely a fan of farmhouse themes, depending on the type space you're working on. So this carpenter's design is simply a play off of farmhouse mixed with feminine tones and finishes. Plaids and leopard prints are pretty bold prints, somewhat traditional, but can done subtly in a space.Here are my favorite picks from the mood board. #classicwoodfurntiure #whitepaint
2. SELECT QUIRKY SHAPES FOR MUST-HAVE BEDROOM FURNITURE AND ACCESSORIES
“....find little ways to show off your personal style in ordinary pieces that have a uniqueness about them."
Pieces that you find overtime or instantly that bring you joy just by looking at them should definitely be in home. Whether it be because your connection to the shape, form, color, or it deserves a place in your home. I like to style around pieces like these. Here are some unique stemware that are dripping in soft colors that I found.
3. INCORPORATE NATURAL ISLAND DESIGNS AND GEOMETRIES
The shapes in an island inspired room matter. From the form of the waves to the trees shapes are everywhere! When you find the perfect accents to pair together in a room like this it will speak volumes. Try picking timeless patterns in happy colors.
4. Pick Watercolor Abstract Art
This little selection is the one that can bring a room all together. It's all about the tones and colors that can incorporate them all and even bring out some other colors. But it's also about the contrast to the room. If you're an art lover like me, you want your art to pop! These can be placed on opposite walls in the room or placed together behind your bed on the wallpaper accented wall.
5. PUT IN A WALLPAPER ACCENT WALL
Incorporating a wall that speaks for the island theme is definitely worth picking and installing. There can not be enough said for what wallpaper does for a room. Besides, here we are aiming for a hotel chic vibe, with a more homely, personal touch to the color!